[BRLTTY] Some more about SBL (Re: attribute tracking, was re: Recommended live distribution)

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Thu Sep 20 08:04:27 EDT 2012

[quoted lines by Klaus Knopper on 2012/09/20 at 11:38 +0200]

>> Does each profile contain the complete list of settings?
>
>Only those that are subject to be changed for a program. But it makes
>sense to put most of them in the config file, since the previous program
>may have set an option that you want to revert in the next program.

My preferred approach, for at least two reasons, would be to reload the
defaults and then apply the program-specific ones. The first is that it's
predictable, and the second is that it removes the potential need for a lot of
data duplication. Do you see any problem(s) with this approach?

>attrcsr1=***1****

Can there be more than one attribute cursor, or, perhaps, does it search for
attrcsr2 only within the first block identified by attrcsr1?

What's the first occurrence of an attribute cursor? Is the search from left to
right on the first line, then on the second, etc, or from top to bottom in the
first column, then the second, etc?

 attcrsr1xy=00,00-80,24

I can see a difference in philosophy, here, which may be one of the reasons why
the sbl people never (and I really do mean NEVER) contacted us regarding their
desired features. It seems that they were okay with a lot of assumptions, e.g.
screen size, whereas my personal philosophy is that a solution must always be
as general as possible. Their appraoch is a lot quicker to implement than mine,
but it's also that much more limiting. In this case, for example, I'd be
insisting on a way to specify the distance from the right and bottom of the
screen as well.

I guess there was also a similar difference in philosophy with respect to
keyboard support. My understanding is that the sbl implementaiton (as least in
its initial form) relied on an extra kernel module which they supplied and the
user had to load. I'd have never accepted that. Again, while it may be a quick
solution, it's not, at least in my opinioo, either a good or a desirable one.

In any event, differences of philosophy aside, there are usually good ideas
behind bad solutions. Perhaps I should've been following the development of
sbl, which I wasn't, if only for ideas.

>the original text file in the sources is OK

To save me a bit of time, could you please tell me the proper way to download
the source?

Phone: 1-613-726-0014 | Ottawa, Ontario   | 2011 May 21 is the End of Salvation.
EMail: dave at mielke.cc | Canada  K2A 1H7   | http://Mielke.cc/now.html