[BRLTTY] Recommended live distribution

S. Massy lists at wolfdream.ca
Thu Sep 20 13:59:00 EDT 2012

On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 02:32:17AM +0200, Klaus Knopper wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 06:24:57PM -0400, S. Massy wrote:
> > I moved away from Knoppix after the switch to SBL and
> > ADRIANE because I just couldn't seem to get a plain console with braille
> > support, which was a pity, as Knoppix was/is a great live distribution.
>
> Since Knoppix 5.x, I always make a special edtion of the Knoppix CD ISO
> files which starts speech and braille in textmode automatically without
> having to type anything at the boot prompt, so it's easy to get started.
> These images have "ADRIANE" in their file name. For the other editions,
> you would have to start with "adriane" as boot option.
>
> The "plain test console" without the ADRIANE-typical dialog-based text
> menu, which you are looking for, can be reestablished by disabling the
> menu in /etc/inittab.adriane. But you could as well just select the
> "Shell" menu item to get a bash. The dialog menu is supposed to give you
> shortcuts to your favourite programs like text web browser, mutt, file
> manager etc., and can be reconfigured by creating configuration files in
> the .adriane directory, so you can have your personal programs in the
> menu instead of the default.
Thanks. Last contact I had with ADRIANE/Knoppix I had little luck, but
that was with the first release. I was in need of a live CD to rescue a
system at the time and so had little time or patience to get things
working and just reverted to an earlier version of Knoppix. I'll give it
a shot again some time.

> ADRIANE was designed in order to provide an easy start to beginners who
> don't know much about computers or Linux, and who rather want to work
> with applications directly than learning how to use the shell. Most
As such, it probably does a very good job of it and likely deserves
better exposure as a means of offering live accessibility to
inexperienced users.

Cheers,
S.M.