[BRLTTY] New release coming soon.

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Sat Dec 14 19:27:45 EST 2013

[quoted lines by Jason White on 2013/12/14 at 16:48 +1100]

>When I move to the last window of the last line on the screen and issue the
>"go right one window" command (display5 on my Baum SuperVario 40), the display
>briefly jumps, i.e., refreshes, whereas previously BRLTTY would just issue the
>appropriate speaker sound and leave the display contents unchanged. I'm not
>sure whether this is deliberate or a bug.

A bug, for sure. I'll need a log to try to figure out what's going on. Could
you please add these options:

   -L/path/to/logfile
   -ldebug,inpkts,outpkts,brlkeys

We'll need to come up with a way for me to find the right place within the log
to look. I could look for that key (Display5), but you probably use it fairly
often. Perhaps you could pause a half a minute or so before you cause the
proiblem, and then stop brltty quickly afterward. That way, I can look for the
last pause in the log, ensure it's followed by a use of that key, and that
that's followed by an alert tune.

>Also, if I issue certain commands such as display2+display3+display6 to set
>eight-dot braille (turn off contracted braille), I hear the confirmation tone
>twice, but only when already in that mode.

A new feature is that the comfirmation tune is played twice if you're already
in the desired state. Whether this is a good or bad thing is open to debate.
There's still time to change it.

>The move to system cursor command (display1) also delivers its confirmation
>sound twice, regardless of whether or not the braille window is at the
>cursor's location.

That's because Display1 is actually bound to the function which turns on cursor
tracking, a side effect of which is to bring the braille display to where the
system cursor is. The double tune is telling you that cursor tracking is
already on. Am I correct that it used to play the tune once? Should it be
silent?