[BRLTTY] New release coming soon.

Jason White jason at jasonjgw.net
Sat Dec 14 20:57:25 EST 2013

Dave Mielke <dave at mielke.cc> wrote:

> Things used to be synchronous. The code would scan forward to find a non-blank
> window, hit the end of the screen, play the alert tune for that, go back to
> where it was, and then update the display.
>
> oiw things happen asynchronously. Waiting for each note of the alert tune to
> complete opens up an opportunity for other events to run. What's happening is
> that a screen update is running in the middle of the alert tune, before the
> braille window coordinates have been restored to their original position.
>
> i'm wondering if it's worth suspending the screen update thread during an alert
> tune.

My main concern here is the additional and unnecessary write to the display,
which it would be preferable to avoid. I haven't looked at how tasks are
distributed among threads or what synchronization issues are in play, so I'll
leave it to your judgment whether there's a safe and effective solution that
wouldn't introduce further bugs. I suppose the other possibility would be to
defer the alert tones until the coordinates have been restored, bug again, I
haven't looked at it and I'd probably need to read a book on threaded
programming first.