[BRLTTY] Choosing the right Braille display

Daniel Dalton d.dalton at iinet.net.au
Thu Feb 7 20:27:24 EST 2013

Hi,

I've got to make a fairly fast decision in regards to choosing a Braille
display. Ideally I would have gone with the Baum super vario, but this
is no longer available in Australia.

So, I am currently considering the humanware Brailliant BI 40 display or
the HIMs braille edge 40. Does anyone own these displays and if so are
they good, or do they have some negative aspects?

I would also obviously need great BRLTTY support including bluetooth and
usb support. I couldn't see a specific driver documentation, so does
brltty provide good support for these displays?

Finally, are there any other modern devices people would recommend
investigating? I just want something as portable as possible i.e. the
size of the super vario, and am not really fussed about input keys, but
if I must have them then I can also deal with that.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Cheers,
Daniel