[BRLTTY] brltty and emacs

Elias Oltmanns eo at nebensachen.de
Sat Jan 26 14:32:40 EST 2013

(2013-01-26) "Rob Hudson" <captinlogic at gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there anything I should be aware of when using BRLTTY and Emacs?
> Any conflicts or something?

The only thing I'm aware of is the cursor routing issue which, as I
gather, has been fixed in the latest release of brltty. Mind you, it's
not directly related to emacs but that is where it can get particularly
annoying.

Of course, there are various tweaks that you may or may not find
convenient when using emacs with brltty. For instance, I like to hide
the menu bar so, when I press “go to beginning of top line”, I
immediately have valuable information on my display. Also, when pressing
the “page down” key, emacs will show the last two lines of the previous
screen as the first two lines of the current one for context. As a
braille terminal user, I find it more convenient to have no context
lines. You can achieve both of this by adding the following to your
.emacs file:

(setq menu-bar-mode nil
      next-screen-context-lines 0)

Depending on how much you are going to use emacs and what for, other
adjustments may be appropriate too. For instance, I use gnus for email
and news and I changed the default window configuration in such a way
that the current article is presented *above* the summary buffer and
occupies a bigger part of the screen. But you really have to figure out
yourself what suits your needs.

Hope that helps,

Elias