[BRLTTY] Is it possible to use an AudioData braille device please?

Jason White jason at jasonjgw.net
Wed Jun 26 03:50:18 EDT 2013

Delaunay Christophe <christophe.delaunay at technicolor.com> wrote:
> Sorry, I really would have liked to
> point you to the web site which was supposed to describe this family of
> products, (http://www.audiodata.de), but now, this URL is redirected to the
> Baum web site. This is because Frank AudioData, the company who produced
> these devices is discontinued. Baum only maintains the already existing
> Frank AudioData devices but they decided to cease the production of newer
> devices in this product family. This is the reason why I don't know more
> about the AudioData BM40. I posted my request because I think this friend is
> probably not the only one who owns a Frank AudioData Braille display but by
> reading your response, I realize that the sparing of such devices seems much
> more confidential than I thought.

There's nothing confidential, as far as I know. It is possible that someone at
Baum has the technical specifications needed to enable a driver to be written
for BRLTTY, if the device isn't compatible with another display that is
already supported.

If the display has an options menu, is there a setting to change the protocol
to emulate another product?

Newer Baum displays can do this, but obviously, the Audiodata ones may lack
this capability.