[BRLTTY] No braille with Papenmeier braille display on Ubuntu 12.04

Delaunay Christophe christophe.delaunay at technicolor.com
Thu Nov 21 10:56:50 EST 2013

Hi all,

Could anyone successfully run BRLTTY on an Ubuntu 12.04 system with a Papenmeier Braillex EL66S please?

When I plug my braille display, I can hear the BRLTTY starting beep. Then, I can read "BRLTTY 4.3 Rev 5477" and then, nothhing more. This "BRLTTY 4.3 Rev 5477" information remains on the display until I unplug it, at which time, I can hear the tone meaning BRLTTY is ended.

While the display was plugged, I killed the BRLTTY process and as root, I launched the following command:

brltty -e -l7 -n

Some parts of the 5 MB log file BRLTTY generated in less than two minutes are attached.

Is this problem known? Is there a way to fix it?

Many thanks in advance. Have a nice day. Chris D