[BRLTTY] brltty not identifying usb devices - Drivers

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Fri Oct 4 15:31:50 EDT 2013

[quoted lines by Siju Samuel on 2013/10/04 at 13:58 -0500]

>I made a fresh set up and it is identifying the device in the log.

Yes, it looks much better, now.

>I see the following message in the log like the Driver is suspended

That's expected. The -r [--release-device] option defaults to on on Windows,
which means that if you're not in a text window and there are no BrlAPI
clients, then brltty releases the device. This allows another screen reader,
assuming it's well-written, to claim the braille device when you're not in a
text window.

>after failing to opening the file. ( But the specified files are there).

Driver suspension is independent of the key table files not being found.
Failure to load the key talbe would just mean that the keys on the braille
device won't do anything.

>The Key files are there in  brltty\etc\brltty
>the exe is in  brltty\bin

From your log:

>brltty.exe: Key Bindings: focus_small
>brltty.exe: cannot open file: /etc/brltty/brl-fs-focus_small.ktb: No such file or directory
>brltty.exe: cannot open key table: /etc/brltty/brl-fs-focus_small.ktb

You built brltty in a way wherein it assumes that it can use absolute paths
anchored at the root of the file system. Don't worry. This is the default, and
you didn't know. You need to configure with --enable-relocatable-install. This
will make it figure out the paths of the other files based on the location of
the brltty executable.

Now here's a part of your log that you may be wondering about:

>brltty.exe: USB: Manufacturer Name: Freedom Scientific
>brltty.exe: USB: Product Description: Focus 3
>brltty.exe: USB: Serial Number: 0123456

The USB product string of your Focus 14 seems to be saying that it's a Focus 3.
What it's really saying, though, is that it's the third version of the Focus
models, which means that it's one of the newer ones.