[BRLTTY] setting up brltty/brlapi

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Wed Oct 9 14:09:24 EDT 2013

[quoted lines by N B on 2013/10/09 at 10:57 -0700]

>I am trying to set up my desktop to use the brlapi java bindings (I am using
Ubuntu 13.4). I have my java project all set up, but it
>cannot find any braille devices when I have my BrailleNote Apex plugged
>into the usb port.  I have tried setting the driver to bn(BrailleNote),
>ba (brlAPI) and hw(Humanware) and that didn't help anything.
>
>I tried getting the BrailleNote to connect using Orca as well, but it doesn't seem to connect either.

The BrailleNote [bn] driver is the one to use. One possibility is that your
Apex is using the new BrailleNote (actually, KeySoft) protocol. Which release
of KeySoft is your BrailleNote running?

We haven't implemented the new KeySoft protocol yet since we haven't yet had
access to a device which uses it. I do have documentation for it, though, so,
as long as I can have some kind of access to a device which uses the newer
protocol, support for it could be added.