[BRLTTY] Brltty windows problem

Rob Hudson captinlogic at gmail.com
Wed Oct 23 19:20:57 EDT 2013

Never had these problems on linux Brltty; it just works. So here goes.
Running windows xp. Alva mm480 on com one.
Downloaded the latest Brltty-win package I could find:
http://brl.thefreecat.org/brltty/brltty-win-4.5-1.exe
I couldn't find it on the main Brltty page; this was the link from the NVDA user guide.
Ran it, it installed okay or seemed to. I heard something about an unspecified service error before the cmd window went away. ran the configurator, selected my display and com 1, nothing happened. Ran brltty in debug mode, everything seemed to be okay, except that the log said that it couldn't find driver al. I fiddled around with it a bunch, before uninstalling it and giving up.
Any ideas what might be happening here? I can reinstall and provide a debug log  if necessary, but some general advice on things to try would be helpful