[BRLTTY] More info on upgrade to mavericks and brltty

Cheryl Homiak cahomiak at gmail.com
Fri Oct 25 13:41:36 EDT 2013

1. Screen now also brings up a different version of screen but I still have screen-4.0.1 on my computer and this works. Just don't expect to type "screen" and then run brltty until/unless you change screen-4.0.1 to be the screen version that comes up when you type "screen".

2. I found that by typing the path to brltty on my external drive, I could run brltty on mavericks rather than having to boot into my Mountain Lion installation. So i copied the executables from /bin on my external drive to /bin on my hd and that works. So I can run it on mavericks; just can't compile it there.

3. Running "sudo port upgrade outdated" in mavericks yielded

extracting gperf: error: org.macports.extract for gperf returned command execution failed

It turned out that /usr/bin/gnutar is missing from Maverics (yes, this would indeed make extraction difficult!) and the solution was supposed to be to reinstall macports from source since there isn't a binary installer yet. Instead, I copied gnutar from my mountain lion install and it worked, at least for now. I then proceeded with the port upgrades until a couple (calc, catdoc) would not install so I just uninstalled them. But then lvm-3.2 was reported as not being supported in mavericks and higher and there didn't seem to be any way of getting past that. So that's as far as i got with upgrading macports.

3. Both before and after upgrading what I could in macports, Attempting to compile brltty after running
sudo svn up
sudo ./autogen
sudo ./configure --disable-iconv (or sudo ./cfg-darwin)
 sudo make install yields:
ld: library not found for -lIOKit
clang: error linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)
make [1]: *** [tbl2hex] Error 1
make: *** [install] Error 2

So, until I get past this, I can run brltty but can't compile it on Mavericks. At least at the moment, I can apparently compile on Mountain Lion on my external drive and then copy the executables to Mavericks.

--
Cheryl

May the words of my mouth
and the meditation of my heart