[BRLTTY] How to find Unicode characters and change their grade 2 translation?

Lee Maschmeyer leemer1 at comcast.net
Thu Apr 10 13:49:39 EDT 2014

Many thanks, but it still fails at times. Two example words:

t'other

This is preceded by a letter sign which is wrong. Note that this
demonstrates the problem is not associated with "ll".

'll

This has a letter sign before the ll which, again, is wrong. (From the
context one can see this is dialect for "will".

Look at it this way: In print this sign is used to produce a certain
character. This character is valid, or at least nearly so, no matter where
it's located. It looks like, or nearly like, an apostrophe; close enough it
can appear in the middle of a word. In braille this character is used for
one purpose only: to produce poor braille. To produce good braille this
character should produce dot 3 no matter where it's located. If somebody
wants to find out what's really there they can use hex; that's what it's
for.

I suppose we could put in something like:

always \u2019\s 356-3-0
always \u2019-- 356-3-36-36

This supposes a very reliable visual rendering of the text which is thus far
beyond us. And followed by anything else it should act like an apostrophe
since this is closest to what it looks like visually.

I downloaded this file from Gutenberg in "plain text UTF-8". I'll check to
see if there's a plainer text format available; maybe UTF-8 is no longer
appropriate.

--

Lee Maschmeyer

"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to
others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you
had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."
--Lewis Carroll