[BRLTTY] Android, some observations

Lars Bjørndal lars at lamasti.net
Tue Jan 21 12:07:42 EST 2014

Hi, Dave and list!

I'd like to post some test results on a Samsung Galaxy S4, fully
updated, with a Handy Tech Active Braille (AB), connected on Bluetooth.

- The automatic braille table selection doesn't seem to work. Before I
  changed it manually, the braille output was set to US english.

- When BRLTTY is loaded, even though if there is no display connected,
  TalkBack reads more information when a new window opens. On the home
  screen for instance, it reads out all icons.

- Reconnection is somewhat unstable. Especially if AB is off for a
  while, while still using the phone. After turning AB on again, I need
  to turn BRLTTY off and then on again to get it going.

- On my phone I have a virtual key, called menu. Is BRLTTY able to bind
  this one to a key combination on AB?

- When using BRLTTY and also a Bluetooth headset, the audio sounds from
  BRLTTY comes both on the device's speaker and on the headset. Could
  that be fixed, so it only goes to the headset?

Thanks and regards,
Lars