[BRLTTY] Compilation problems on Windows

Siju Samuel sijusamueltech at gmail.com
Thu May 22 14:34:19 EDT 2014

Hi Siddharth,

I could not find easily which version of MingW I am using. if any command
or properties that I can look at let me know.   How ever,  the following
are some directories if you can make out some useful info. ( it is mingw32)

/mingw/msys/1.0

/mingw/bin

$ ls min*
mingw-get.exe    mingw32-g++-4.6.2.exe  mingw32-gcc.exe
mingw32-c++.exe  mingw32-g++.exe        mingw32-make.exe
mingw32-cc.exe   mingw32-gcc-4.6.2.exe  mingwm10.dll

Other than that;

I think i did not use brlty-4.5 directly from the bltty site. Instead i
checked out the development version using svn at that time as suggested by
Dave/samuel. I have shared the ZIP source file to your gmail id
(brltty.zip) . That can be used to test it is working or not.  I noticed
some config param are different compared to what I wrote last time. So I am
pasting my notes one again with correction.  Use an entirely  new directory
in case if you are trying out further

MAY trial

0. Use the zip file . [ Checked svn source code few months back in linux.
Run the .autogen. Transfer the zip file to windows]
0.1 Unzip to /c/brlttymaywin/

---STEPS for libusb-win32 - install

1\ download libusb-win32 from "
http://sourceforge.net/projects/libusb-win32/files/", unpack it.

2\ [In Mingw]Symlink the header and library files into MinGW installation,
run:

    ln -s "....(path to)/LibUSB-Win32/include/lusb0_usb.h"
/mingw/include/usb.h

    ln -s "....(path to)/LibUSB-Win32/lib/gcc/libusb.a" /mingw/lib/

    ln -s "....(path to)/LibUSB-Win32/bin/x86/libusb0_x86.dll"
/mingw/bin/libusb0.dll

3.   In MingW  : Configure and  Make Install

cd  /c/brlttymaywin/brltty

$ ./configure --with-braille-driver=fs,-all --with-screen-driver=-all
--with-speech-driver=-all --enable-relocatable-install

make install INSTALL_ROOT="/brlttymay"

cd /brlttymay

In Windows
The corresponding location in windows :
C:\MinGW\msys\1.0\brlttymay

cp C:\MinGW\msys\1.0\brlttymay  C:\brlttymaywin\BUILD\brltty

After doing step LIBUSB below run the following
In a .bat file in [C:\brlttymaywin\BUILD\brltty\run-debug.bat]

.\bin\brltty -b fs -xno -p none -A auth=none  -l debug  -n -e
--no-release-device> debug.log 2>&1

Step LIBSUB

1\ To actually be able to use the libusb-win32 driver, need to copy the
runtime files in the brltty- built bin
[ I think if the libusb is installed  the following might not to be done.  ]

   cp "/path/to/LibUSB-Win32/bin/x86/libusb0.sys" brltty/bin/libusb0.sys

   cp "/path/to/LibUSB-Win32/bin/x86/libusb0_x86.dll" brltty/binlibusb0.dll

   cp "/path/to/LibUSB-Win32/bin/amd64/libusb0.sys"
brltty/bin/libusb0_x64.sys

   cp "/path/to/LibUSB-Win32/bin/amd64/libusb0.dll"
brltty/bin/libusb0_x64.dll

2\ let braille device driver point at the brltty/brltty.inf file
 [brltty.inf location not sure]

    1) plug braille device and open device manage in windows

    2) right click the braille device driver, update driver software

    3) Browse my computer for driver software -> Let me pick from a list of
device drivers on my computer

    4) Have disk, browse "brltty.inf" in "brltty/bin/", then click OK  [ or
where ever that .inf file is ..???]

    5) In "Model" window, choose "LibUSB-Win32: FreedomScientific[Focus
Blue]" -> next -> finish

RUNNING A SAMPLE CLIENT;

Run the sample program in brltty site to test it is working or not.

http://mielke.cc/brltty/doc/Manual-BrlAPI/English/BrlAPI-5.html#ss5.1

 compile and run the program

    $ gcc siclient.cpp -o sicpp -I/brlttymay/usr/include   -L
/brlttymay/lib    -lbrlapi

thanks, siju samuel