[BRLTTY] brltty, orca and gdm not playing nicely

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Sun May 25 19:02:17 EDT 2014

[quoted lines by timothyhobbs at seznam.cz on 2014/05/25 at 23:37 +0200]

>Well that's a step back in naming clarity ;)

It's just kind of a new standard that's come into existence lately. A check of
the brltty source will reveal that we already (as of 5.1) support the
XDG_CONFIG_HOME and XDG_CONFIG_DIRS environment variables.

>I presume that XDG_VTNR means something in Hebrew, given the utter lack of
>vowels.

Please, let's try and not be mean. And, besides, Hebrew has vowel points. The
fact is that we can usually point at ourselves if we're looking for fault. In
this case, the true inventors of vowelless spelling were early computer
programmers who'd do anything at all to avoid typing more than absolutely
necessary, even if it completely obfuscated all of their code.

XDG means X Desktop Group. VTNR means Virtual Terminal Number.