[BRLTTY] Compiling a statically linked binary

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Thu Oct 23 21:12:44 EDT 2014

[quoted lines by S. Massy on 2014/10/23 at 20:53 -0400]

>> >Is this still supported/tested? When I enable the
>> >--enable-standalone-programs option, compilation aborts with complaints
>> >that memcpy is being redefined.

This is an example of why I keep nagging people to post the log so that we can
see the actual messages. The warning is about mempcpy - not memcpy. The
problem, in this case, appears to be that you're using a newer gcc compiler
with older brltty source. In other words, the older brltty source contains code
which was okay at that time but which the newer gcc no longer likes.

You also have a couple of other errors:

>./options.c:825:5: error: initializer element is not constant
>     {.name=WC_C("ifset"), .processor=processIfSetOperands},
>     ^

>./options.c:826:5: error: initializer element is not constant
>     {.name=WC_C("ifnotset"), .processor=processIfNotSetOperands},
>     ^

These two lines really are actual errors. Specifically, in thesee two cases,
WC_C() should be WC_S().

Is there any particular reason that you're trying to build such old brltty
source?