No subject

Tue Apr 21 22:45:55 EDT 2015

, =0A=
though I haven't yet done a great job putting it all online. It turns out =
=0A=
that being philosophically inclined towards open-ness isn't enough. You al=
so=0A=
have to write down thoughts, technical specifications and documentation th=
at=0A=
is far more clear and complete than one would do internally. It turns out =
=0A=
that it costs a lot of work and effort to be REALLY open.=0A=
=0A=
The device that I am currently working on in full swing, the keyback, work=
s =0A=
as follows: you have a 28 key keyboard with lever style keys (like on an o=
ld=0A=
mechanical brailler). You can type on the keyboard using braille or a =
=0A=
stenotype system (much faster). There is also a reading mode. In reading =
=0A=
mode, when you press a key down, it stays down because the keyboard also h=
as=0A=
an electromagnetic key locking system. The keyboard can then selectively =
=0A=
unlock keys. So if the message you were reading was "hello" and you entere=
d =0A=
reading mode and pressed down all of the keys, then all the keys would sta=
y =0A=
down except for the index and middle finger key on your left hand and the =
=0A=
middle finger key on your right hand, this you would read as 'h'.=C2=A0 Wh=
en you =0A=
pressed those keys back down, then all of the keys would stay down except =
=0A=
for the index finger key on your left hand and the middle finger key on yo=
ur=0A=
right hand, this you would read as 'e'. You would continue to press the ke=
ys=0A=
which popped back up down as you read along. Of course, reading this way =
=0A=
using a braille system would be quite slow. However, using stenotype shoul=
d =0A=
be very fast.=0A=
=0A=
My current conception of the keyback is that it will have a full linux =
=0A=
computer in it. This increases the price, but I think that it will be bett=
er=0A=
that way. Software-wise, stenotype is not well developed on systems other =
=0A=
than linux and this will require a lot of specialized software. Making it =
a =0A=
self sufficient computer will eliminate a lot of work/compatibility issues=
. =0A=
Linux is also cool.=0A=
=0A=
The keyback (which I haven't built yet) has the current parts list:=0A=
=0A=
Laser cut metal case: $20=0A=
Frame made from drilled aluminium profiles: $3=0A=
Key levers + magnets: $10=0A=
Electromagnet strip for locking keys: $20=0A=
Battery: $30=0A=
Charging circuit: $10=0A=
Computer board: $200=0A=
Buttons: $4=0A=
Touch sensor array for a menu system: $15=0A=
Camera for use as a light level sensor and color detector: $20=0A=
Speakers: $30=0A=
Microphones: $3=0A=
Glues, tape, etc: $?=0A=
Assembly: $20=0A=
Profit, liability, waranty, support: $100=0A=
=0A=
Perhaps there is something I forgot there, but I'm aiming for a price arou=
nd=0A=
$500.=0A=
=0A=
What are APH and Humanware like? My business model is as follows. I will u=
se=0A=
money (which I have) to buy large quantities of parts. I will then sell =
=0A=
"small business kits" to people, giving them enough parts to build 25-50 =
=0A=
devices. These "small buisness" people will then sell to the consumer with=
in=0A=
their local area. I will take a small cut. I like this model for several =
=0A=
reasons:=0A=
=0A=
The device will require a lot of support because stenotype systems are =
=0A=
complex and hard to learn. I need those support personel to be close by. S=
o =0A=
for example, I will sell devices in Prague, and I will be able to visit my=
 =0A=
clients at their homes to help them get the device working. Being =0A=
geographically close to people is also good from an environmental =0A=
standpoint. I don't want people to buy new devices every couple of years a=
nd=0A=
throw the old one's out. I'd much rather have them come to my home, where =
I =0A=
can replace the battery and upgrade the electronics for them. This will =
=0A=
reduce waste. It also has an advantage from an open source standpoint. If =
a =0A=
lot of small businesses are using the same open source design, hopefully =
=0A=
that will mean that there are a number of people invested in it and workin=
g =0A=
on it together (like with the highly successfull open source reprap =0A=
project). It is also good from an economic standpoint. I don't have enough=
 =0A=
money to buy batteries and computer boards in bulk. So I won't include tho=
se=0A=
standard and expensive parts in my kits. There is no cost advantage to =
=0A=
purchasing them in bulk anyways. It is also good from a localization =
=0A=
standpoint. There are not stenographic systems for most languages. It is =
=0A=
best that such stenographic systems are developed by people who actually =
=0A=
speak the language =0A=
=0A=
Tim=0A=