[BRLTTY] brltty in ubuntu

Didier Spaier didier at slint.fr
Wed Aug 19 11:31:33 EDT 2015

Hi
On 18/08/2015 21:08, Kristoffer Gustafsson wrote:.
> I'm installing ubuntu.
> But I'm not getting any braille support.
> Is there braille in ubuntu under installation?
> It would be better to have braille, and not only speech.
I am not an Ubuntu user but will give you a tentative answer.

Please anyone feel free to correct me case occurring.

I downloaded ubuntu-14.4.3-desktop-i386.iso and
booted it in a virtual machine.

I was not presented an option to use brltty
during installation, and AFAIK the installer
is graphical only (at least I didn't find how
to get a text one. I was too lazy to open
the installer and actually check).

Maybe there are alternate installers that
I didn't find, though.

But there are brltty packages for all Ubuntu versions
according to
http://packages.ubuntu.com/
so brltty should be easily installable, at least
with help from a sighted person.

I don't see a big advantage in choosing
Ubuntu over Debian, especially for a blind
person and Debian can be installed through
brltty, but that's just my unrequested
opinion.

Cheers,
Didier