[BRLTTY] Systemd service autostart

Bram Duvigneau bram at bramd.nl
Thu Aug 27 04:50:21 EDT 2015

On 27-8-2015 10:00, Mario Lang wrote:
> Dave Mielke <dave at mielke.cc> writes:
>
>> [quoted lines by Samuel Thibault on 2015/08/26 at 02:09 +0200]
>>
>> P.S.: I am actually a bit disapointed about the udev/systemd
>> integration. I was kind of expecting a .usb unit that would just let
>> us list a number of USB IDs, so that the user can selectively enable
>> brltty.usb or brltty.service, just as they would do with ssh.service
>> and ssh.socket. However, it doesn't appear to work that way, and udev
>> feels very much like a tool pulled into the ecosystem of systemd
>> without a lot of real integration. What I can gather from the docs I
>> have read so far, systemd is supposed to generate a brltty.device
>> unit file automatically if TAG+="systemd" is used. How this
>> brltty.device unit file would be used in systemd exactly, isn't
>> really clear to me yet.
I haven't worked that much with systemd so far, but it seems to me that
we can create a braille.device wants brltty.service connection to
trigger a brltty start when braille.device is created. Furthermore, it
seems every connected braille display should get it's own .device unit,
this is also what seems to be happening for hblock devices, network
interfaces etc. The docs[0] state that there is no [device] section,
because devices have no options, so I wonder how we get the USB serial
number passed to brltty.service...

[0]: http://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/systemd.device.html

Bram