[BRLTTY] brltty crashing shortly after starting

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Tue Dec 1 18:34:14 EST 2015

[quoted lines by Mike Gorse on 2015/12/01 at 17:19 -0500]

>So I don't know if the crash I was seeing is a real-world problem, but I'm
>attaching a log and my brltty.conf anyhow (is this what you were asking for,
>or is there a separate preferences file?)

The log is showing a real-world problem. For some reason, the driver is
responding to what it thinks is a VarioPro-only packet that's causing it to
believe that there are no text cells. Could you please send a new log that
captures the communication between the driver and the device? To do this,
replace the log level 7 with the log level debug,inpkts,outpkts.

>>How are you passing in -O0? The default build option is -O2.
>
>Building an openSUSE package as a test, and passing -O0 through optflags.

I'm not sure how that build system works. In any event, the real problem is, as
mentioned above, in the communication between the driver and the device so
trying to get unoptimized code won't likely be of any benefit.

>I have it installed. Brltty starts up, and systemctl seems to time
>out and kill it. This seems to be a separate issue from the division
>by zero (which might only happen if I try to install the unmodified
>udev rules file on a system running systemd). Anyway, it appears that
>the Type=notify change isn't working correctly for me, since, if I
>replace
>Type=notify
>ExecStart=/usr/bin/brltty --no-daemon
>with
>Type=forking
>PIDFile=/run/brltty.pid
>ExecStart=/usr/bin/brltty -P /run/brltty.pid
>
>then starting via systemd works for me again.

It could be that your systemd is too old for the notification paradigm to work.