[BRLTTY] History of Brltty

Mario Lang mlang at delysid.org
Thu Dec 10 08:55:26 EST 2015

Samuel Thibault <samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org> writes:

> At the beginning of 2002, with Sébastien Hinderer, we wrote the brlapi
> client/server support, which allowed gnopernicus, then orca and NVDA to
> access braille devices.

This is roughly when I joined.  I remember having written the
Gnopernicus driver for BrlAPI, which gave us
the first screen reader on Linux with native braille support.

Since I have good connections to a display reseller near me, I have
written support for several display models since.  Whenever my favourite
reseller gets a new model, they usually let me have it for a few days
to implement BRLTTY support for it.

That said, the bulk of my contributions were probably talking Dave into
impelmenting something particular.

I'd like to take this opportunity and publicly thank Dave for the
absolutely wonderful work he has been doing since he took maintainance
over.  As some of you probably don't know, since a significant part of
our communication is and was off-list, Dave is not only a maintainer, I
consider him a programming mentor of mine.  I have learnt quite a lot
from him in the past 13 years or so.  Thanks!

--
CYa,
  ⡍⠁⠗⠊⠕