[BRLTTY] BrailleSense QWERTY

Vincent LE GOFF vincent.legoff.srs at gmail.com
Sun Dec 13 17:43:33 EST 2015

Hi everyone,

I found a topic on a similar (but not quite identical) issue, and I
would like to know where things are at this stage.  I have setup Linux
and everything works fine.  After some struggle, the Braille display
that I use, a BrailleSense QWERTY, is recognized by BRLTTY and almost
everything works well... except for the keys.  Actually, most keys on
the keyboard trigger the right commands on the computer (one can type on
the BrailleSense QWERTY keyboard almost without error), but the
navigation keys don't work at all.  Impossible to browse through the
window.  Well, not quite impossible:  alt+f2 can be used to go up, and
alt+f3 can be used to go down a window.  But that's like not really
great, since navigation keys do exist around the display to do that.

It seems that the previous user who reported an issue with this type of
display on BRLTTY said the navigation keys worked.  Mine don't,
however.  I don't know whether it's an issue of BRLTTY or of my
configuration.

When pressing F1 on the Braille display, the help message of BRLTTY id
displayed.  Unfortunately, a lot of messages are not adapted (they point
to a BrailleSense with a Braille keyboard, which isn't my case).  I
couldn't find how to open the preferences (perhaps that's all it would
take), although I found some other keys, beyond F1.  Am I missing something?

If you need any help in creating a more accessible driver, I'd be happy
to test (and to some extent, to program if that's necessary). Although,
the only Braille display I have under Linux is this specific Braille
Sense, and it's not easy to code without it (some people seem to do it
just fine, but I can't, let's admit it).

BRLTTY version: 5.2.

Thank you so much for your help,

Vincent