[BRLTTY] BrailleSense QWERTY

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Sun Dec 13 22:08:47 EST 2015

[quoted lines by Vincent LE GOFF on 2015/12/13 at 18:30 -0800]

>The BrailleSense (either QWERTY or Braille) has four navigation keys,
>two on each side of the Braille display.  I pressed the upper-left
>one first, released it, then pressed the lower-left one (just below
>the previous one).  I repeated the same process on the right:  first
>the upper-right key, then the lower-right.

These keys must only be on newer Braille Sense models. They're also on the
Braille Edge, though, from your log, I can see that they're mapped differently.
That explans another mystery that I've been curious about, by the way.

>Those four keys are used to offer different navigation modes and I must admit
>it's not always the same in all screen readers.  On the BrailleSense itself
>(which may look like the right basis to look at), here's the key mapping.  I
>will refer to key 1 (upper-left), 2 (lower-left), 3 (upper-right) and 4
>(lower-right), hoping it's not too confusing:
>
>Key 1:  Backward a Braille window.
>Key 2:  Backward a whole line (similar to the 'up' arrow, but it
>doesn't move the cursor).
>Key 3:  Forward a whole line (similar to the 'down' arrow key).
>Key 4:  Forward a Braille window.

Are you saying that that's what these keys actually do right now?

Older Braille Sense models had four keys that were known as either function or
advance keys. I think they're more like bars. Does yours have these too, or not
at all?

>As you can see, the key 1 (upper-left) and key 4 (lower right) are
>used to move from Braille window to Braille window, which is the most
>common use-case.  Several screen readers tend to have a different
>behavior (for some, key 1 is backward a line and key 2 is backward a
>window) but I've used the HIMS mapping in this description.

No, I can't see that from this log. If they're actually doing that then I'm
wondering if your Braille Sense is actually presenting itself to the driver as
a Braille Edge. Could you please add the usb and outpkts log categories, and
send me a complete log so that I can see what happens when the device is
probed?

Also, I think a lot of the special qwerty keys (arrows, page up/down, insert,
delete, home/end, F1-12) may not be mapped. Could you please send me a log that
shows what happens when you press them?

>Finally, I would point out that some keys aren't mapped yet,
>including (and most importantly) the preferences.  It would be great
>to have a key mapped to this BRLTTY command.

There's a problem I need to think about a bit because I'm not sure how to
determine which type of keyboard the device has. I'll be thinking about it
while we make sure that all of the keys are working.