[BRLTTY] Feature request

Mario Lang mlang at delysid.org
Tue Dec 15 09:30:43 EST 2015

Lars Bjørndal <lars at lamasti.net> writes:

> On Mon, Dec 14, 2015 at 02:54:36AM -0500, Dave Mielke wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> Brltty plays what we call alert tunes for events the user might care about,
>> e.g. trying to navigate beyond the edge of the screen, wrapping to the
>> next/previous line, skipping over blank lines, etc. The default is to use the
>> PC speaker to play these tunes. Its tune device can, however, be changed from
>> within brltty's preferences menu to other things, e.g. to play PCM audio via
>> the sound card.
>>
>> Additionally, the about-to-be released version (5.3) of brltty contains a new
>> feature that helps overcome a related problem. Wthout a physical PC speaker, or
>> without the pcspkr kernel module, the regular console bell can't be heard
>> either. Since a blind user can't see a visual bell, being able to hear the
>> console bell is important to many. Brltty has a new setting called Console Bell
>> Alert. If this setting is enabled then brltty listens for Linux console bell
>> events, and plays them via its current tune device. So, with brltty running and
>> this new setting enabled, and with the tune device set to PCM, the old familiar
>> console bell can again be heard via the speakers, headset, or whatever the user
>> is using.
>
> Many braille displays has a speaker built in. Could it be possible to
> utilize the speaker to play the sould from the console/BRLTTY? E.g. use the
> braille display as the sound device?

Most braille displays do not offer any way for the host to trigger
internal sounds on the braille display.  So this is a dead end unfortunately.

There is an upcoming trend to ship displays with a bluetooth based sound
device included.  These will make it possible to play PCM sounds
directly from the host.  I guess most users will want to use this for
sending the speech synthesis output to their braille display.  At least
that is what it is ment for.

--
CYa,
  ⡍⠁⠗⠊⠕