[BRLTTY] Problem with 5.3

Aura Kelloniemi spammi.helevetti at nbl.fi
Wed Dec 16 13:34:40 EST 2015

Dave Mielke <dave at mielke.cc> writes:

 > [quoted lines by adrian at pa0rda.nl on 2015/12/16 at 10:17 +0100]

>>I installed brltty 5.3 yesterday. Today I installed a new kernel on
>>CentOS and after rebooting I get:
>>Can't get console state

I have the same problem. I'm running BRLTTY git head from yesterday on "Linux
4.3.3-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Dec 15 08:42:57 CET 2015 x86_64 GNU/Linux".
When I restart BRLTTY, it works fine, except when I switch to a console which
only has a getty running (no other processes) it sometimes stops displaying
the screen contents. When I log out from a shell in virtual console and getty
is activated again, BRLTTY may lose access to console state again too.

 > Cold you please have a look in the log for the actual error message from
 > brltty?

The error is "I/O error", which is not very informative to me at least.

In Finnish, the message goes like this:
joulu 16 20:24:34 solaria brltty[272]: ioctl[VT_GETSTATE] error 5: I/O-virhe.

This is BTW a very annoying problem, which makes logging in a real PITA. I
think that a new release of BRLTTY should be made, if it turns out that this
is affecting more people than just me and OP.

--
Aura