[BRLTTY] Using a Raspberry pi 2 as a SSH client

Lars Bjørndal lars at lamasti.net
Mon Dec 28 09:44:26 EST 2015

Hi, Mario!

Thanks a lot for your description. You wrote:

> Lars Bjørndal <lars at lamasti.net> writes:
>
> > Hello, list!
> >
> > On Sat, Oct 17, 2015 at 08:50:03PM +0200, Lars Bjørndal wrote:
> >> I became tired of not having a usable SSH client on my Android phone. So
> >> I bought a Raspberry Pi 2, a mobile charging battery bank and a bluetooth
> >> and a wireless USB dongle. I installd Fedora 22 ARM and BRLTTY on it.
> >> This works pretty well.
> >>
> >> I have two issues, that I hope someone on this list may have solutions
> >> to:
> >
> > [...]
> >
> >> - Another issue is that I can't manage to change the lines per screen
> >>   and characters per line. Now, it's set to 28x74. 'stty cols 80 rows 25'
> >>   outputs invalid argument for standard input, or something similar.
> >
> > After fiddling a bit more, I found that 'stty rows 25' is working. But
> > trying to set the line length to 80, e.g. greater than 74, isn't
> > possible. Do anyone know of a solution to this?
>
> You are likely using a framebuffer driver as backend for your console.

Yes, I realized that. I tried to remove it by putting "nomodeset
vga=normal" into the /boot/cmdline.txt, but the framebuffer was still
active after rebooting, even though the portion was part of the
/proc/cmdline output.

> In these situations, two things become relevant when aiming for a
> certain columns/lines length: The actual screen resolution in use, and
> the size of the console font currently loaded.
> fbset should tell you your current screen resolution:
>
> root at fx:~# fbset
>
> mode "1024x768"
>     geometry 1024 768 1024 768 32
>     timings 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
>     accel true
>     rgba 8/16,8/8,8/0,0/0
> endmode

I got:

"mode "592x448"
    geometry 592 448 592 448 16
    timings 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
    rgba 5/11,6/5,5/0,0/16
endmode"

> Ignore the extra noise for now, all we're interested in is that for the
> sake of this example, we have 1024x768 screen resolution.
>
> In my /etc/default/console-setup, I have:
>
> FONT="Lat15-Terminus16.psf.gz brl-16x8.psf"
>
> which means I am loading a 8x16 font.  1024/8 gives 128, which is what I
> currently have as screen line width:
>
> root at fx:~# echo $COLUMNS:$LINES
> 128:48

In Fedora /etc/default/console-setup is /etc/vconsole.conf, and it
contains:

FONT=eurlatgr

> If you want to achieve a certain line length, you can:
> * Try to change your framebuffer resolution.

Ok. It looks like fbset can do that.

> * Find a smaller or larger console font.
> * Do final adjustments with stty.
>
> A combinations of these will usually give you exactly what you want.
> It just takes a bit of planning and experimentation.
> For the sake of possibly sighted onlookers, it makes sense to try to
> find a configuration with maximize screen resolution.  hi-res fonts just
> tend to look nicer.

This is a Raspberry pi 2 without a monitor. But thank you very much. I
will experiment.

Lars