[BRLTTY] Using a Raspberry pi 2 as a SSH client

Mario Lang mlang at delysid.org
Tue Dec 29 09:22:18 EST 2015

Lars Bjørndal <lars at lamasti.net> writes:

> Hi, Mario!
>
> Thanks a lot for your description. You wrote:
>
>> Lars Bjørndal <lars at lamasti.net> writes:

>> > [...]
>> >
>> > After fiddling a bit more, I found that 'stty rows 25' is working. But
>> > trying to set the line length to 80, e.g. greater than 74, isn't
>> > possible. Do anyone know of a solution to this?
>>
>> You are likely using a framebuffer driver as backend for your console.
>
> Yes, I realized that. I tried to remove it by putting "nomodeset
> vga=normal" into the /boot/cmdline.txt, but the framebuffer was still
> active after rebooting, even though the portion was part of the
> /proc/cmdline output.

As Jason has already pointed out, it is very likely that your ARM system
does not feature any legacy VGA.  So fb is likely your only option.

>> In these situations, two things become relevant when aiming for a
>> certain columns/lines length: The actual screen resolution in use, and
>> the size of the console font currently loaded.
>> fbset should tell you your current screen resolution:
>>
>> root at fx:~# fbset
>>
>> mode "1024x768"
>>     geometry 1024 768 1024 768 32
>>     timings 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
>>     accel true
>>     rgba 8/16,8/8,8/0,0/0
>> endmode
>
> I got:
>
> "mode "592x448"
>     geometry 592 448 592 448 16
>     timings 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
>     rgba 5/11,6/5,5/0,0/16
> endmode"

Yes, and 592/8 is 74, which is what you are seeing AFAIR.
Try to up your horizontal screen resolution.
If you can get it up to 640, you should be happy.

I used to use 1280 with a 14 pixel wide font.
Gives you 91 chars per line.  And with a bit of stty magic, you get
exactly 88, which is very nice for a Modular Evolution user :-)

--
CYa,
  ⡍⠁⠗⠊⠕