[BRLTTY] Getting to know BRLTTY

Cearbhal O'Meadhra cearbhall.omeadhra at blbc.ie
Wed Feb 11 05:11:07 EST 2015

Dear list members,

I am very interested in BRLTTY as a visually impaired computer user. I have
a basic knowledge of programming but not enough to engage as a developer!

I am helping a windows-based teaching project for young blind students who
are learning the Irish language and need to input text in Irish using a
braille keyboard and be able to read and feel braille codes depicting Irish
words.

I am running Windows 7 on a Del 64-bit laptop with a choice of two screen
readers, JAWS 14 and NVDA. I find NVDA to be the most user friendly of these
two.

I have a Braille Lite 2000 which I am able to interface with NVDA to display
the text strings which NVDA speaks out through the eSpeak synthesiser. To do
this I have installed BRLTTY and run "install.bat". I can see that this has
started the BrlAPI service. I notice that NVDA only sends strings to the
braille Lite when this service is running. I have run BRLTTY config and set
this to Braille lite on com 7. I see that there is also a module called
BRLTTY.exe. Should I run this? What does it do?

I cannot make this connection easily every time so I suspect that I am doing
something wrong! Can you advise me where to begin, how to get to know the
project and how to create a completely interactive link between the PC,
BRLTTY and NVDA using standard English braille?

The target of this exercise is to enable a blind student to input text into
a Word file from the braille keyboard in Irish braille code and read the
written text on the braille display also in Irish grade 1 braille code. Once
I am familiar with the connection to BRLTTY in standard English braille I
can then start to see how to bring the Irish code into the system.

I look forward to hearing from you or anyone else in the BRLTTY project.

Yours sincerely,

Cearbhall O'Meadhra

m +353 (0)833323487 Ph: _353 (0)1-2864623 e: cearbhall.omeadhra at blbc.ie

.
-----
version doesn't have this disclaimer in outgoing emails.

-----
version doesn't have this disclaimer in outgoing emails.