[BRLTTY] Console font that supports unicode braille

Mario Lang mlang at delysid.org
Sun Jan 18 16:57:11 EST 2015

lars at lamasti.net (Lars Bjørndal) writes:

> I'm about to work out a Perl module that converts between different
> braille character sets, e.g. to/from US ASCII, Eurobraille etc.

You might be interested in the brltty-trtxt tool, which does exactly
that.  I use it a lot to convert from various braille character sets to
unicode braille.

> To do that, I plan to use unicode braille as the internal coding
> system. As these characters onlsy shows up as question mark on my
> braille display, that's inconvenient. I'm using a Fedora 20 system in
> text mode. The font I use, is latarcyrheb-sun16. Is there a font
> available for Fedora that displays unicode braille?

I don't know about Fedora packaging, but Samuel has produced some
console fonts for unicode braille.  In Debian, that is packaged as
"console-braille".  The Linux console font system allows for 512 glyph
entries.  You can load a typical font for 256 characters, and add the
unicode braille font on top of that.  Rather convenient, but it takes a
bit of setting up.

--
CYa,
  ⡍⠁⠗⠊⠕