[BRLTTY] control characters not registering using brltty with screen on Mac Yosemite with Braille Edge

Cheryl Homiak cah4110 at icloud.com
Sun May 31 19:34:47 EDT 2015

I am not sure when this problem started because I have been using brltty a lot from my linux machines and working on the Mac terminal by ssh. I went back to brltty-5.1 and then 5.0 in the git repository and still had the same problem which makes me think this is more complicated, or at least different from, just a problem that happened in a brltty change.

I cannot do control characters such as control-x control-s control-c and others with the braille edge keyboard but they can be done from non-display keyboards normally both with brltty off and on. Instead, the letters are registered without the control so letters are typed. I found this in emacs but also ran nano. Alt, on the other hand, does still work. Also, the function that the control key performs on the Braille Edge when no other key is pressed does still work.

Here is what I did once brltty was started and the control characters were done the first time from the usb keyboard and the second time from the braille display, also on usb.

emacs test.txt
ctrl-x ctrl-s ctrl-x ctrl-c

I did have to do an extra control series again with the usb keyboard to close the file since it did not work from the braille keyboard.

I did keep the control key held down for the ctrl-x ctrl-s and then let up and held control down again for the x and c. This is how I usually do it and it works with no problem on the usb keyboard. It also works with no problem from my brltty installations on linux but those were not running Mac OS, not running screen and were running the debian package rather than the git repository package.

i have recently done a clean install of yosemite and have not at this point installed either homebrew or macports. I was able to compile and run both screen and brltty without these extra resources by downloading autoconf; I also downloaded libtool and automake, all from gnu.org <http://gnu.org/>. However, the problem I am explaining here became apparent to me before I did the clean install but neither did these changes which were made for unrelated reasons, solve the problem

Attachment is below signature. Thanks for any suggestions.

--
Cheryl

"Move forward by looking back!
"Above all, fear the Lord
and worship Him faithfully with all your heart;
consider the great things He has done for you."
(1 Samuel 12:24 (HCSB)