[BRLTTY] missing key release events, was Re: brltty5.2 alpine2.11 cursor tracking

Nicolas Pitre nico at fluxnic.net
Thu Oct 1 16:58:52 EDT 2015

On Tue, 29 Sep 2015, Dave Mielke wrote:

> [quoted lines by Nicolas Pitre on 2015/09/27 at 14:14 -0400]
>
> >If you think about something in the commit history, such as some particular
> >time period or code refactoring that might be worth testing more closely then
> >I might be able to come up with a culprit faster.
>
> Could you let me know the latest commit that's good?

Hard to tell.  My bisection went as far as commit 442fb746 and I think
it seemed fine up to that point at least.  Again it is hard to be 100%
sure when the issue doesn't happen if it would have happened given some
more time.

> One big change with respect to USB on Linux has been monitoring USBFS instead
> of using signals. Perhaps, therefore, you could try setting
> LINUX_USB_INPUT_USE_SIGNAL_MONITOR (in parameters.h) to 1.

And so I did.  And it _seemed_ to improve things i.e. I wasn't able to
reproduce the lost key issue during the time I tested it i.e. for a
single day.

Now to complicate things further, I just replaced my workstation for a
much more powerful one.  The lost key issue doesn't appear to manifest
itself anymore but I now have other kinds of brltty problems resulting
in complete loss of braille output on random occasions (smells like
brltty segfaulting) I have yet to investigate properly.

Nicolas