[BRLTTY] brlapi_enterTttyMode(BRLAPI_TTY_DEFAULT, buf) result in brlapi_error Can't determine tty number

Sébastien Hinderer Sebastien.Hinderer at inria.fr
Wed Oct 28 08:20:54 EDT 2015

Hello Eric,

It is great to see that people actually do things with BrlAPI!

> My developed software works well when i start it from command line.
> The computer (a raspberry pi) had already booted.
>
> But, when i want to start the program during boot (/etc/rc.local) I
> get the message that it can't determine the tty number.

Yeah, that makes sense, because those programs are not ran in an ty.

> This is after the brlapi_enterTttyMode(BRLAPI_TTY_DEFAULT,buf) buf is a string "Voyager".
>
> What happens?
> Can anybody please give me an answer or a way to get around this
> problem?

If you know which terminal you want to associate to this program,
perhaps you can call the program with the CONTROLVT environment variable
deined, for instance
CONTROLVT=1 ./myprogram

Hope this helps,

Sébastien.