[BRLTTY] Termination of BRLTTY

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Wed Aug 10 06:54:07 EDT 2016

[quoted lines by Sebastian Humenda on 2016/08/10 at 10:55 +0200]

>-What is the correct way to terminate a BRLTTY process? I have noticed that
>using `systemctl stop brltty` will print "BRLTTY terminated" on my display, but
>`killall brltty` will not. Is there another signal to send?
>I'm asking because sometimes I'm starting BRLTTY by hand and would like to
>terminate it afterwards.

The best signal to use is TERM.

>When I currently use `killall brltty`,

"killall -TERM -x brltty" would work, but there's a better way. One reason you
should use a better way is because using killall terminates every single
brltty, which may not be what you want if you're rujnning more than one of
them.

Another way would be to figure out the correct pid, then then do:

   kill -TERM pid

There are command line options to make this a lot easier. Use -P (uppercase)
when starting brltty so that it'll create a .pid file:

   brltty -P /run/brltty.pid

Then, to terminate brltty, specify the same pid file along with -C (uppercase):

   brltty -P /run/brltty.pid -C

This, in fact, is how brltty's systemd unit works.