[BRLTTY] permissions on the brlapi.key file

kendell clark coffeekingms at gmail.com
Sat Aug 27 18:00:38 EDT 2016

hi all

Since my last email, braille is working beautifully, including
contracted braille. However there is one minor thing I'd like to fix in
brltty's package build script so that braille more or less works out of
the box, at least for USB displays. The reason orca was having so much
trouble with the braille sense wasn't the display or orca, it was the
permissions that were set on the /etc/brlapi.key file. It was owned by
root and readable only by root. I was able to fix this by entering "sudo
chmod 755 /etc/brlapi.key" in a terminal, after which everything worked.
Is it possible to specify something like "install -d -m 755
/etc/brlapi.key" in the package build script so that this works
automatically? I'm not sure if brltty comes with it's own brlapi.key
file or if brltty itself generates it. If it generates it, can
permissions on it be set in the config file? I'm trying to find a way to
fix it so that sonar users can simply plug in a display and have it work
without having to change the permissions themselves. Thisis more or less
how nvda on windows is supposed to work, provided you have the drivers
for your display installed. I wonder how they do it?

Thanks

Kendell Clark