[BRLTTY] permissions on the brlapi.key file

Jason White jason at jasonjgw.net
Sun Aug 28 09:55:26 EDT 2016

Dave Mielke <dave at mielke.cc> wrote:

> Here's another idea. Create a new group named brlapi. Make /etc/brlapi.key
> owned by root:brlapi and have permissions 640. This'd make it read-write by
> root (for editing) and read-only to any user within the brlapi group. Then add
> the brlapi group as a secondary login group for the gdm user (which Orca runs
> as).

After the user logs in, I understand that an instance of Orca is then started
under the login ID of that user. With the above solution, every user who
wishes to run Orca would then need to be added to the brlapi group.

It's the same if the user invokes startx from a console session, which is what
I do, since most of my time is spent at the console, but I need to run an X
session for some applications. Started this way, Orca runs under the identity
of the logged in user.