[BRLTTY] brltty for Android

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Tue Dec 13 23:26:31 EST 2016

[quoted lines by Devin Prater on 2016/12/14 at 03:14 +0000]

>I have Brltty 5.4.apk, from the brltty download page.

You probably want the latest apk, then, as it fixes an annoying problem that
I'm sure you're having. When adding to the end of an input area, the braille
cursor would jump back to the beginning after typing a space. The real cursor
was still in the right place, of course, to further characters still did get
added to the end of the input area, and the braille cursor would go back to the
right place as soon as a non-space was entered. The problem, ion other words,
was that the braille cursor was placed at the start of an input area if the
real cursor was on a space at the end of that input area.

To get the latest apk: go to brltty.com, click on Download, and then on
Android.

>No, sorry, I don't know how to capture logs.

Do you have the adb command from Google's Android SDK? The way to get the log
is to connect your device to your computer via USB, and then to use this
command:

   adb logcat -v time -d >logfile

logcat is the adb command's function to copy out the log.
-v time means to include the timestamp on each line of the log.
-d means to dump the current log and then stop.
>logfile means to write the log to that file by redirecting standard output.

You can clear the log first via the command:

   adb logcat -c

Doing this before causing the problem is a good idea because, among other
things, it removes any possibly private data from the log. It also, of course,
keeps the captured log as small as possible.