[BRLTTY] brltty for Android

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Wed Dec 14 09:48:19 EST 2016

[quoted lines by Rasmussen, Lloyd on 2016/12/14 at 08:52 -0500]

>In the case of BARD Mobile, it may not be easy for anyone to fix this in
>BrlTTY. We are using controls with nonstandard behavior for fast forward,
>rewind, next and previous in our BARD Mobile app. Double-tap activates the
>button for a one-time action, while tap and hold holds the button down until
>released, which is not standard Android behavior for the tap-and-hold gesture.

That actually is exactly the way TalkBack (more precisely, Explore by Touch)
changes the standard gestures. I'm suspecting, therefore, that what you're
describing may not be as non-standard as you think. It could just be that you
aren't familiar with exactly how Explore by Touch modifies the standard
gestures.

I hope that you didn't force it to work as you describe with Explore by Touch
being off. If so, that'd be unfortunate and the wrong way to have proceeded.

In any event, there's only one way to figure out what can and can't be fixed,
and that's to have an actual look at it (which I'd be glad to do).

>We have this working properly in TalkBack and with no access technology
>running,

But TalkBack is accessibility technology. It runs the very same way that all
other Android accessibility services run, and uses the very same accessibility
framework.

>but it doesn’t work in BrailleBack, either.

I suspect you mean when using BrailleBack but with TalkBack disabled. I'm less
familiar with BrailleBack (since I work on making brltty work), but I suspect
that BrailleBack is relying on TalkBack to have enabled Explore by Touch. If
so, then those gestures won't work if just BrailleBack is running.

Also, brltty offers ways to do those gestures directly from the braille device
without even using the touch screen. For a tap, you press the second routing
key above the screen element. For a hold, you press the third one.