[BRLTTY] ioctl[KIOCSOUND] error 25: Inappropriate ioctl for device.

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Mon Dec 19 11:04:45 EST 2016

[quoted lines by Lars Bjørndal on 2016/12/18 at 09:32 +0100]

>>Have you configured your system to have a serial >console?
>
>Yes, I have. I had the following parameters to the linux kernel:
>
>console=ttyS0,38400 console=tty0 nomodeset vga=normal

I guess /dev/console is given the device type of the first specification.

>I had exactly the same configuration in Fedora 23. After upgrading to
>24, the sound from BRLTTY didn't work, until I removed the console
>parameters.

Then I guess something in the kernel changed about what device type is being
given to /dev/console.

>But the console beep works in both cases.

i'll have a look at generating beeps the new way - using a uinput device.