[BRLTTY] Problem with terminus font

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Tue Feb 9 10:28:52 EST 2016

[quoted lines by Aura Kelloniemi on 2016/02/09 at 08:35 +0200]

>I would have preferred modifying the braille table of OP so that it has 0x00
>defined with no dots. I don't think that special casing space will do lots of
>harm though, but if other characters are going to be added, then I prefer a
>configuration option or a user-definable translation map.

Yes, except that it'd be wrong to assume that all users of all tables don't
care about the NUL character. In this case, at least in my opinion, it's better
to work around a common but wrong way that fonts tend to be defined.

Also, it's better to get rid of a problem than to resolve it in a way that
might make it come back. We certainly could go through every single text table
(there are lots of them) to convert every single definition of NUL into being
represented by no dots, but, at any time, someone might write a new text table
and the same problem will come right back for that one.