[BRLTTY] brltty crashing shortly after starting

Mike Gorse mgorse at alum.wpi.edu
Wed Jan 6 21:40:51 EST 2016

Hi all,

Finally I've taken the time to debug the issue I was having a while ago.

>> From Autostart/Udev/udev.rules:
>> RUN+="/bin/brltty -E -P$env{BRLTTY_PID_FILE}"
>>
>> From the udev manpage on my system:
>>       RUN{type}
>> 	   Add a program to the list of programs to be executed after processing all the rules for a specific event, depending on "type":
>> 	   This can only be used for very short-running foreground tasks. Running an event process for a long period of time may block all further events for this or a dependent device.
>>
>> 	   Starting daemons or other long-running processes is not appropriate for udev; the forked processes, detached or not, will be unconditionally killed after the event handling has
>> 	   finished.
>
> This isn't a problem because brltty forks into the background almost right
> away. Note that it's -n (--no-daemon) option isn't being used.

In any case, things were behaving as described in my manpage, and I
couldn't get brltty to automatically start without modifying the rules
file. I'm curious whether anyone else has tried to use the rules file with
systemd and had success. The main problem I was having was that I wasn't
setting SYSTEMD_WANTS correctly. I have the attached patch, which gets
brltty to start for me when I connect my device.

This leaves me with one minor quirk, where, after I connect my device and
have a console open as a non-root user, brltty continues to display
"brltty 5.3.1 rev unknown" until I press a key or switch consoles--it
doesn't seem to find the current line of text without my frist triggering
it to do so by doing something that causes a change. If I am logged in as
root, then it behaves as I would expect and eventually displays the
current line without my needing to press a key in order to trigger it.
Does anyone know why this might be happening? I'm wondering whether we
have something configured incorrectly in openSUSE.

Thanks,
-Mike