[BRLTTY] Using a Raspberry pi 2 as a SSH client

Lars Bjørndal lars at lamasti.net
Sun Jan 24 13:53:35 EST 2016

Thank you, Mario!

At the bottom of this message, I'll point out what I ended up doing.

On Tue, Dec 29, 2015 at 03:22:18PM +0100, Mario Lang wrote:
> Lars Bjørndal <lars at lamasti.net> writes:
>
> > Hi, Mario!
> >
> > Thanks a lot for your description. You wrote:

> >> You are likely using a framebuffer driver as backend for your console.
> >
> > Yes, I realized that. I tried to remove it by putting "nomodeset
> > vga=normal" into the /boot/cmdline.txt, but the framebuffer was still
> > active after rebooting, even though the portion was part of the
> > /proc/cmdline output.
>
> As Jason has already pointed out, it is very likely that your ARM system
> does not feature any legacy VGA.  So fb is likely your only option.
>
> >> In these situations, two things become relevant when aiming for a
> >> certain columns/lines length: The actual screen resolution in use, and
> >> the size of the console font currently loaded.
> >> fbset should tell you your current screen resolution:
> >>
> >> root at fx:~# fbset
> >>
> >> mode "1024x768"
> >>     geometry 1024 768 1024 768 32
> >>     timings 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
> >>     accel true
> >>     rgba 8/16,8/8,8/0,0/0
> >> endmode
> >
> > I got:
> >
> > "mode "592x448"
> >     geometry 592 448 592 448 16
> >     timings 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
> >     rgba 5/11,6/5,5/0,0/16
> > endmode"
>
> Yes, and 592/8 is 74, which is what you are seeing AFAIR.
> Try to up your horizontal screen resolution.
> If you can get it up to 640, you should be happy.
>
> I used to use 1280 with a 14 pixel wide font.
> Gives you 91 chars per line.  And with a bit of stty magic, you get
> exactly 88, which is very nice for a Modular Evolution user :-)

As I have a 40 character display connected, I put the command 'fbset
-yres 400 -xres 640' in /etc/rc.d/rc.local. However, then only the
root user got the right 80x25 terminal. So I subscribed my regular
user to the video group and put the command above also in .bashrc for
that user. It
works and I'm happy.

Thanks and regards,

Lars