[BRLTTY] Braille display recommendation?

Mario Lang mlang at delysid.org
Fri May 13 06:49:24 EDT 2016

Jaroslav Skarvada <jskarvad at redhat.com> writes:

> we would like to buy Braille display which is supported by brltty.

Almost all displays are actually supported.  As Jason already said, its
probably better you choose one according to your requirements, and later
make sure it is really supported with BRLTTY.

> Could anybody recommend some display and where to buy it?

You haven't even specified for what type of application/use case.
Basically, there are three sizes these days:
* Desktop: More then 60 cells.
* Laptop/Portable: 40-cell displays.
* Smartphone/ultra portable: typically 14 or 18 cells.

Manufacturers typically rely on local resellers, and typically do not
ship to a country which has an exclusive reseller.  If the Czech
Republic isn't very different from other EU countries, you're probably
best off finding a local reseller and have a look at the products they
have.

On a personal note, I very much like:
* Handy Tech Modular Evolution displays (for desktop use).
* Handy Tech Active Star 40 (for portable use).
* Freedom Scientific Focus 14: For ultra portable use cases (14 cells).

The HIMS Smart Beetle (14 cells) also looks quite nice.

But as said above, it would make it a lot easier to suggest things to
you if we actually knew what you are going to use the display for, and
probably how much money you are able to spend.  The larger the display,
the more expensive it is going to be.

--
CYa,
  ⡍⠁⠗⠊⠕