[BRLTTY] new listmember with a question

kendell clark coffeekingms at gmail.com
Thu May 19 08:42:19 EDT 2016

hi
You can run some desktops without pulse audio. But doing so  ... I'm not
sure how to politely put this, but it takes out a lot of what makes
sound convenient on linux. Without pulse audio, you can no longer
control apps volume, switch to newly connected sound devices, and so on.
If I did that I'd lose most of my users because they'd have to do all
that stuff manually. I'm frustrated with the pulse audio guys, not the
brltty developers. You guys make an absolutely fantastic and essential
piece of software which allows people to utilize their very expensive
braille displays on linux, and it functions as a console screen reader
to boot. This is a pulse problem. It's blocking the sound from getting
through. It does the same with speakup, the screen reader built into the
kernel. You can have pulseaudio use dmix instead of it's own internal
mixer but doing so disables a lot of it's functionality, like being able
to switch sound devices, control per application volume, etc. I don't
know what to do next. We've tried everything we can think of to get
brltty to speak and I just can't do it.
Thanks
Kendell Clark

Thanks