[BRLTTY] Using Braillenote mPower with brltty on ubuntu

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Wed Nov 9 22:55:30 EST 2016

[quoted lines by Vikash Kesarwani on 2016/11/09 at 18:38 +0530]

>I have a Humanware BrailleNote mPower 32 refreshable braille display,
>which I would like to connect to a Ubuntu 14.04 PC.
>When I connect braille display to PC with USB cable, it is displayed
>as /dev/ttyUSB0, how ever when I try to connect to it with brltty. It
>displays no driver found error.

This problem has just been fixed (thanks to you having reported it) in the
latest development code. One option, therefore, is for you to build and use the
latest development code. You do have another, probably simpler, option, though.
It's to explicitly specify the braille driver and braille device within your
/etc/brltty.conf file.

If you're absolutely sure that you'll only ever have one USB serial device then
you can always assume the ttyUSB0 device name. If you ever have more than one
of them, though, then you won't know for sure which number will be assigned to
your braille device. If you're willing to assume ttyUSB0 then these lines
should work:

   braille-driver bn
   braille-device serial:ttyUSB0

If you'd like to be more explicit then give these lines a try instead:

   braille-driver bn
   braille-device usb:vendor=0x1c71+product=0xc004