[BRLTTY] Looking at iManufacturer and iProduct for generic USB devices?

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Sun Nov 20 14:14:43 EST 2016

[quoted lines by Samuel Thibault on 2016/11/20 at 19:25 +0100]

>Any progress on this?

No. The discussion stopped before I was convinced I knew exactly what was
wanted, and then I got involved in other stuff and forgot about it.

As I recall: The idea is to use those strings to help decide if a brltty driver
should claim a device or not. If a driver specifies a lsit of manufacturer
strings then one of them must match, and/or if a driver speifies a lsit of
product strings then one of them must match. Is that how you understand it?

My lingring concern is that, if this feature were being used by a driver, then
it'd stop recognizing a braille deivce if a slight change were made to those
strings. Maybe that's an invalid concetrn. Do you know if there's some kind of
understanding that those strings need to be stable or are they really just
intended/used for human readability?