[BRLTTY] ioctl[KIOCSOUND] error 25: Inappropriate ioctl for device.

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Wed Nov 30 11:25:25 EST 2016

[quoted lines by Lars Bjørndal on 2016/11/30 at 09:08 +0100]

>Currently I use an old Handy Tech Braille Star 80 display on USB. When
>navigating with the display, there is no sound from BRLTTY.

Is the navigation itself working correctly?

>I get lots of:
>
>Nov 30 08:59:30 fox brltty[20907]: ioctl[KIOCSOUND] error 25:
>Inappropriate ioctl for device.
>
>in my logs.

This means that brltty has been unable to load the pcspkr kernel module.
Perhaps your installation doesn't provide it, or perhaps you're using hardware
that doesn't support the PC speaker.

>The information about the USB port is the following when connecting the cable:

There's nothing unexpected in the logs. It's indeed an older HandyTech device.
Could you please send me a copy of your /sys/kernel/debug/usb/devices file
while it's connected so that I can save a copy of its device definition?

>Is this a kernel driver problem, or can it be fixed from the BRLTTY
>side?

No, it's not a brltty problem. If your system doesn't support the PC speaker
then you could try setting your tune device to PCM. That'll use your sound card
and actual speakers.