[BRLTTY] Looking at iManufacturer and iProduct for generic USB devices?

Samuel Thibault samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org
Wed Oct 12 19:24:31 EDT 2016

Hello,

We continue getting reports that brltty happens to get installed on some
box for some reason, and the generic USB probing interferes with
non-braille devices.  We have notably received:

“for example it grabbed my USB<->1wire
adapter which had "manufacturer"  and "product" field customized:

Device: ID 0403:6001 Future Technology Devices International, Ltd
FT232 USB-Serial (UART) IC
Device Descriptor:
  bLength                18
  bDescriptorType         1
  bcdUSB               2.00
  bDeviceSubClass         0
  bDeviceProtocol         0
  bMaxPacketSize0         8
  idVendor           0x0403 Future Technology Devices International, Ltd
  idProduct          0x6001 FT232 USB-Serial (UART) IC
  bcdDevice            6.00
  iManufacturer           1 MERA-PROJEKT
  iProduct                2 USB <-> 1Wire (MP00202)
  iSerial                 3 MPYRNJYY
  bNumConfigurations      1

”

Couldn't Brltty use the iManufacturer field (and perhaps iProduct field
too) to whitelist only devices which have the expected iManufacturer?

Samuel