[BRLTTY] Testing on Windows

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Wed Apr 5 10:02:18 EDT 2017

[quoted lines by Felix Grützmacher - Help Tech Elektronik GmbH on 2017/04/05 at 13:55 +0200]

>I don't use Linux at all so it might take me a while to get to a point where
>I'd be of some actual use rather than ask a lot of questions, so I'm
>reluctant to go down that road.

The thing is that I don't know Windows well enough to guide you as to what to
look at on the system. In this case, I'd like to verify the USB descriptors on
the AB that you're using. On Linux that's as simple as looking at a text-based
kernel-provided pseudo file. I've no idea if Windows has a similar capability.

>A sighted colleague of mine is a Linuxer though and might assist me if you
>could please point me to a distribution you would recommend, preferrably one
>already containing BRLTTY.

In this case, any distribution would do and brltty doesn't even need to be on
the system. What I'd like is for the AB to be connected to the system, and,
after a couple of seconds to let USB enumeration settle down, I'd like to see a
copy of the file /sys/kernel/debug/usb/devices. Could this be easily done?

Anotehr alternative could be for me to build another version of brltty for
Windows which would log a complete hex dump of the USB descriptors.