[BRLTTY] Some questions regarding Android version

Henk Abma henk.abma at gmail.com
Sun Apr 30 13:11:03 EDT 2017

-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
Van: BRLTTY [mailto:brltty-bounces at brltty.com] Namens Dave Mielke
Verzonden: zondag 30 april 2017 16:09
Aan: Informal discussion between users and developers of BRLTTY.
<brltty at brltty.com>
Onderwerp: Re: [BRLTTY] Some questions regarding Android version

[quoted lines by Henk Abma on 2017/04/30 at 12:18 +0200]

>In general I like BRLTTY on Android. Sometimes it reconnects to the
>display, but that's not a real issue.

Can you determine what's common about when this happens? How far apart are
your phone and display?

Phone and display are about one meter apart, and the reconnect is automatic
within a few seconds. I have not yet found a way to reproduce the issue, it
just some times happens.

>There are a few things that don't work, or I don't understand how to use
them:

Thanks for reporting these issues. Since I now have a device running the
very same release, I'll be able to look into them. Here are a few questions
for
clarification:

>1.       In some applications, I cannot scroll the screen. An example is:
>https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=nl.nos.app Here a list of
>articles is presented, however I can only see the first page and see no
>way to scroll down. With TalkBack and BrailleBack there is no issue.

What's the actual name of this app in the store so that I can install it
that way?

NOS, produced by de nederlandse omroepstichting. They have more apps in the
play store. You don't want NOS teletekst, just the NOS app.

>3.       It looks as if brltty does not make use of the accessible
>description attribute that developers can add to their items. E.g. the
>phone app has 3 tabs, that have audible names in TalkBack, but no name in
brltty.

It does, but maybe there's something new in a newer release. I'll check.

I see another example for names of icons on screen. E.g. in dutch "new
appointment" is truncated to "new afspr." Whereas TalkBack correctly says
"nieuwe afspraak".

>4.       Folder names in Launcher are displayed twice, so I get Folder:
>banking banking" in stead of the "Folder: banking" I would expect.

Are you saying that it says "banking banking" on the very same line?

Sorry, this is an issue with BrailleBack, not brltty.

>5.       I thought brltty showed multiple controls on one line, however,
>currently it shows only one control per display. Is this a setting I
missed?

It does for the top line (Notifications, Qucik Settings), and for the bottom
line (Back, Home, Recent Apps). For the main part of the screen, however, it
depends on brltty's Navigation Mode setting (which defaults to List, but can
be set to Grid).

Thanks, clear!

By the way: I do know that Recent Apps has been changed to Overview as of
something like Android 5. I've been ignoring that change because, until
recently, I didn't have a newer device.

>6.       When browsing the help page, the lock timer is not reset, so after
>reading for a while, the screen goes off. Maybe the lock timer could be
>reset on every key press?

Do you mean brltty's help screen? I suppose the same thing would also be
true when in the preferences menu.

Yes, I mean brlttyS  help screen. I didn't spend enough time in the
preferences screen to see it happen there.
'
With kind regards,

Henk.